Sunday, June 15, 2008

Yup.


Hey everyone. Cool work so far. I've been wanting to post something but have been busy with other sheeit. Lately I've been in this Xenogears obsession and it made me want to do some character sketches reminiscent of those old PS1 RPGs. Classic shit. So anyway, here's a generic hero in his generic clothing (before he actually becomes a hero). I was mostly wanting to focus on costuming and design without getting much into rendering (I'm a bit sick of rendering for now). Anyway, have at it! :P

2 comments:

Raz said...

Xenogears, still?? Man, they got you bad, Jake. I was wondering if you were ever going to post on here or just crit, lol. You need to force Tyler to put his stuff up next time you lay eyes on him. And tell him I said that too. You have my authority to use the katana if necessary, and my authority actualy stands above state and federal law. Anyhow, about the character here.

This guy's really fun. I like the color scheme and layout. You *nailed* that oldschool rpg hair color man. It instantly transported my soul back to the days of Breath of Fire. Very cool. I also like the costume design and frills. I get the feeling of a cross between tribal and woodsman, which is a fun realm to play around in.

Some things I have noticed:

The foreground hand in left pose looks a bit claw-like. I think his pointer finger is too skinny and you probably should have shown some of those other fingers either curling up in the shadow of the palm or hanging down beneath. It doesn't look like he has them all right now.

The position and angle of the other hand and arm seems awkward to me. I *think* the spot that his hand is at would actually be his thigh instead of his waist, which seems like a weird spot to rest your hand since there is nothing to rest on. The angle of his hand also makes it look more like it's hanging or held there, than actually at rest. I think the hand should be moved up farther and the arm should be bent a bit more. It even reads strangely in the shot from behind too, imo.

Overall, his arms seem like they might be a bit small. At the moment I'm not sure if its a length or mass issue, but I feel like there is something going on there. Maybe mirror image this piece and take a close look at the arms and you'll see what I mean? Or maybe I'm just going crazy here.

Last and least, the shinguard on our right side, in the front view, looks slightly skewed to me.

Try messing with these if you want to work on this some more. Other than these crits I really like it. Good work. I look forward to seeing the "Extraordinary Hero" next!

Jake Murray said...

Hell yeah, Xenogears (and Xenosaga)! It IS one of the greatest (and probably the most epic considering that the story spans at least 15,000 years) games EVER CREATED. EEEEVVVVVEEEERRRRRRRRRRR!!!! Okay, enough of that. Thanks for the crit Raz. You're right about the arms. Especially the one on the back-facing pose. One of these days I'd like to shoot some reference poses even just for fun stuff like this, but just haven't gotten anyone to do it for me. As far as Tyler goes, he's not really even here all that often, but I'll give him a good talking to when I see him next - just for you. ;) Anyway, thanks for commenting!