

Hey guys and girls. Been swamped with work and having a hard time keep up with personal stuff, so I wanted to put off critiquing your stuffs until I finished these two pieces I'm currently working on. If all goes well I'll post the second by Sunday, and then the crits will follow.
So, just one piece today, but two variations. I can't decide if I want to leave the background just white or not. All opinions and critiques would be *greatly* appreciated.
Ciao homies.
*EDIT*
After posting these and looking at them, the plain white background really does look better. Maybe I'll try something else, or just leave it white. Also, the other piece I'm working on is taking longer than I thought and I'm going to need to do some studying/referencing to finish it, so... Just this one post for this weekend, maybe two more pieces next weekend. I'll try to get around to critting everyone elses stuff now.
5 comments:
Hey he looks like you! haha.
Personally the BG is too distracting. If you want the cheap comic book but effective way, just put some rocks under his feet and a circle for a moon in the BG. INSTANT!
Yeah lose the background, and do something like phong said.
I see improvement man! Nice face on that! The hands need a bit of work. Keep truckin and show us some finished work!
I'm seriously considering leaving the background white, or open in some way. When residing in a vertical white composition, this has a nice clean simplicity that I like. It seems to add to the comedy of the voice bubble, imo.
Good advice though Phong, and good call on the hands Kelly. I'm glad you see improvement. I was decently happy with this. I'm doing a lot of art for work these days, along with whatever free time I have, so I think it's paying off.
You think this guy is unfinished, Kelly? I think he holds together pretty well. Or did you just mean I need to put him in a full illustration?
Anyhow, thanks for the first two crits guys!
Yeah the BG is not working like phong and kelly have mentioned. But i am enjoying his pose,and kelly is right there is improvement most noticeably in his face.
Just a suggestion, he looks to me like he just vanquished a dozen enemies. So maybe you could put him in a dark alley with his slain victims in the BG behind him fading into the dark.
It's just me but i love high contrast so make it dark. With the moon like phong suggested in the BG,casting a crisp highlight onto this guy to define his cool shape(shoulders/staff)and it'll make him the focus. just a thought
His gloves should be white so the hand in front can pop out. And that arm seems to go straight down...would be more dynamic if the upper arm was coming at us. The lower arm can still be flat on. OMG i'll just show you in real life to show you what I mean. In fact, I'll show you in real life what I would do with the backarm.
I feel the font doesn't quite fit the piece..it should be hand written since the piece has a painterly feel to it
Other than that, I like the impact this piece has
Post a Comment