Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Imp Rex


A revamped design of a sketch I did freshman year for a boss creature in an RPG. I had written a soundtrack cue for the fight as I imagined and decided to sketch the creature as I saw him based on the music. The beak plate on its face protects the open cavity in its head where the brain can be accessed - thus also making it blind. He is built to be fast and nimble, but very powerful as well. There are lesser imps, but as the name of this one implies, he is of a higher breed. The song I wrote for it can be heard here .

2 comments:

Raz said...

Hey bud. You are truly a renaissance man. This guy looks pretty good, but there is definately something off about him that I can't quite put my finger on. His torso seems flat to me and I'm not sure why. Also, I think something else is bothering me(or it might be related) as far as the pose goes. In regards to the flatness, maybe there was something lost in painting over the sketch, or some flatness that came through due to the scan? (I'm assuming you used a multiply painting layer over your scanned sketch.)

I like the idea of the face plate and the blindness, and I really enjoy the detail you went into on the metal plate and the weapon. Cool stuff.

I think you showed me this song before. Sounds pretty cool.

Good stuff. See what you think about the flatness/pose stuff.

Tyler Parkinson said...

I agree with Raz, the torso is awkward but the feet are really sexy.