


I propose that anyone working on a JE inspired piece get it up here by the end of today, whether its finished or not, so we can atleast have the enjoyment of seeing what other people were working on. I'm getting tired of this piece, didn't think it through enough when I started I guess, so I wanted to post it now and just come back to it in the future.
Now for a lengthy explanation...
First off, the detail shot is just to give you a closer look at the only parts of this piece that I'm happy with: The face, some parts of the hair, and the warmth of the skin-tones (experimented with the colors for a while, not sure if they're there quite yet).
The linework is botched in all three. I actually did my linework in clean pencil (traditional is unlike me, I know I know... and look what I got for it.) I'm not sure if its all chunky looking because I didn't have the proper scanning software for the scanner I used with my laptop or what, but I swear the linework was way cleaner on paper. I even tried doing some photoshop tricks on it, but to no avail.
When I first began working on this, I was working over a sketch from my sketchbook and was in the process of watching Benjamin Button, which has a crazy shot of a rocket launch that made me really want to put some crazy clouds into this piece. That was about all I was going on when I started. Halfway through I started debating if I liked the piece better with a flat brown bg, and that may actually be a bit more in the JE style. So now there are two versions, the one with the clouds needs a bit more work, plus some ref. I'm not sure which one I like better, although right now I think maybe the flat background is working better... let me know which one you guys like better.
Its funny that we picked this style to go with this week, because I've been wanting to do some experimenting with linework, rendering, and graphic elements all in one piece. So good timing I guess.
Anyhow, here it is, I finally posted, lol. All done with no ref, in the JE manner. The main reason for this being so late from me is because I couldn't decide what I wanted to do with it (still haven't, as you can see), and right now I'm hopelessly addicted to Persona 4... Don, you know what I'm talking about, lol.
Anyhow, post up people! Whatever you got, put it up!
6 comments:
i think no one is leaving a comment cause no one else did a piece...
good stuff here... the flat background reminds me of JE more than the puffy clouds.
GOOD WORK just ignore us slackers :)
she looks very sexy. her head might be a little too big, makes her look a little young but what ever. it looks good.
just keep working on it don't make it your final just yet. I really like where it's going.
Do something cool with the water. make it more of a desing element, don't just leave it there in the middle. right now it pritty much compeats for attention with the girl.
Thanks guys. Eugene, I agree with you on the water. I was going to try to do something much more mystical/design-ish with it and it kind of fell by the wayside as I got burnt out looking at this, not to mention I'll need to get some ref to do some convincing looking water/splashes. First on my list is fixing those nasty lines though, lol.
great props to you for being the first! sorry about our laziness. I'm swamped with shit in Chi
(Chicago, not China. haha)
Have the water effect not be so little. Have it go all the way up and into her hair...morphing into her hair. Now that's surreal
That's a serious face. I'm not messin with you anymore. Don't hurt me...
Have bits of tentacles comin outta the water to add some interest into the big flat sea
Cool stuff! You don't EVER stop. Man!
Dope shit man!
You went all out with the rendering on this one. I think you coulda compromised on the rendering and take some time out of that to finish the piece so even if some parts are unfinished; it still looks cohesive. For the lines, if they're pencil, I found that it's better to leave the contrast alone and just set the layer to multiply. If you bump up the contrast to pure black and white, you're gonna have nasty white spots underneath the lines cus a pencil line isn't uniformly black like ink.
Between the hair, water, and clouds could be some design elements to tie them in. Right now each one kind of go their own way.
lastly for clouds, you wanna have one edge sharper than the other one a cloud so the light source is clear. Don't forget about perspective and atmospheric stuff cus even though clouds are fluffy and soft, they're still shapes.
Peace roomate!@
Oh and I think you should pick the next challenge since you're the first one to post!
Post a Comment