Tuesday, July 14, 2009

WIP

I started doodling about five hours ago and figured that if I posted it I could break the cycle and go to bed.
I plan to fill up the space on the right with WW2 style fighters, using graphics in the same color as the pants.
Crits?


Here is some progress, hopefully.
Thanks for the helpful comments.


Progress


I still need to shoot some ref for the pants and feet.
I'm not sure about what to do with the nearest cluster of flora.



I'm pretty sure that this is the final. Any thoughts?


3 comments:

JAIR said...

good start, interesting narrative here.

I can tell your main interest is in the boy figure, try to work this image in a more balanced manner. Your environment surrounding the boy needs work a lot of the land/ sky elements are flat and show no perspective. Try using a soft round brush with 0% hardness to get the desired amount of atmosphere. Also, i wouldn't be in such a hurry to add in the photos. Get the entire composition worked out first. Try flipping the image horizontally and work if from there you'll be able to balance the composition a bit easier. I say all this because many times i have made the mistake of rendering the hell out of an image and towards the end i found many mistakes with the basic composition and decided to scrap it because i was bored of working it.

i know this is a work in progress, so, please continue!

Raz said...

Looks pretty good so far man. On my monitor its a bit dark, so I'm not sure if its a screen thing but maybe you might want to try lightening the piece up a little. I feel like a lot of potential detail is getting lost in darkness.

The kid looks great, feels very real and portrays a mood. However, his mouth seems a bit strange to me. It's sticking off of the plane of his face too far, like a monkey, bulldog, or orc even (just give him some bottom teeth popping out). Obviously the mouth isn't quite this extreme, but it was definately something I noticed right away. You should, in my opinion, pull that back more toward the plane of the face.

Actually, I just took a second look at it, and I think its more the bottom lip and chin structure than the top lip and under the nose area. Pull back his bottom lip, and if you want him to have that pouting face, maybe get some ref for how that bottom lip would look. I know this might seem like a nit pick right now, but stare at it for a bit and see if you don't notice it.

Other than this I'd say keep moving along. It's looking nice.

Phong Nguyen said...

nice going man. Right now I think you need more atmospheric perspective.

The boy's head should be way diffused since it looks like it's in the cloud. Put some clouds up there so his head is really in the cloud.

Overall, like Jair said, I think you need to sort out the composition first before you dive into the details.

Right now, the shoreline is flat, the horizon is right in the middle, and the green hills and mountains all point to the middle so that's where my eyes go to first. I'm guessing you want the viewer to look at the boy first so angle some of the hills, mountains, and clouds to lead the eyes there. But the biggest thing to me is how sharp the boy is and he's suppose to be far far away.