Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Jake's Benjamin piece


Well, who would have thought that I of all people would be jumping the gun on this one - especially since I hardly ever post here? :P Anyway, this is my Benjamin-inspired piece for the week. Decided to cater it towards my own graphic novel project so I worked up a mock cover with all the type and doodads. Definitely had fun with this. Good pick Raz.

P.S. - Hopefully this goes without saying to most of us on here, but just to be safe......This piece is in no way affiliated with, or endorsed by, Dark Horse Comics. I just used the logo as a mock place holder - and because I like Dark Horse.

4 comments:

Raz said...

Dude, I'm calling Dark Horse. You are sooo busted, lol.

AWESOME stuff man. This is very slick looking, would be a sweet cover. And you were the first to post... definately setting the bar high here.

If I was going to crit this, looking back at some of Benjamin's work, I would say that you could have put more of a jump in the hue spectrum here for your piece, maybe pushed the chroma a tiny bit more. As far as the hue shift issue, you're cool colors don't really seem to get past the purple range, where you probably could have pushed this all the way to a true blue or green-ish blue like on the "Orange" cover.

The other crit I have, not related to style, is that the front shoulder seems to get lost in the background color, at least on my monitor. Also, if the sword is resting on his shoulder, we'd probably seem some overlap of the cloth/material on his shoulder coming in front of the bottom of the blade.

Other than these crits, I'd say you did a pretty slick job man. Very cool looking.

Eugene Hoban said...

really nice stuff.
great collor control.
hehe. I think that i need alot more practice with that.
lol i wish the cowboy would have had a gun. :P

JAIR said...

yeah really nice painter sketch here! Its a nice image Benjamin or no Benjamin. I think you should do more of these and then send then to dark horse comics for real. Now i kinda want to see it without all the text over-top of it, its blocking out the hand, which looks pretty nice. I like the title, its irony. Yes Benjamin does go a little over the top with his hue intensity but i think this is a nice even mix. Good work here once again!

Jake Murray said...

Hey thanks guys, I appreciate the comments and crits.

Raz - Please don't bust me! Hahaha. As far as the colors go, I was studying the Orange cover and from what I could tell, it seems like Benjamin was using a predominantly two-color complementary scheme between blue-green and red-orange. He's got a few other high chroma colors thrown in there for accent and whatnot, but based on that sort of generalization I just decided to go mostly purple and yellow. That and, try as I might, I couldn't really find a good spot to throw in the high-chroma blues and greens in the composition.

Eugene - Thanks man! The character actually does have a gun too. :P I just decided not to show it for this one.

Jair - Glad you liked it! After doing this I actually got a little bug in me to do more cover pieces like this to maybe send in to Dark Horse. I think it would definitely be fun.

Thanks again guys for the look and advice!