Tuesday, July 21, 2009

My B-Style Piece


I know you all may have suspected it, but I wasn't about to chump out on my own topic, lol. I had to redo this piece with a bw value study first, as I mentioned in my last comment to Jair, because my values got out of whack really fast when I jumped right into the color. I tried to experiment with the color scheme on the cover of Orange. There were some things that maybe made that color scheme a little less successful here, since my ref only really included one single direct light and then massive amounts of ambient bounce light, as apposed to the dual light source from the Orange cover. Also Maria doesn't have dark hair, which seemed to be a pretty key source of the strong orange for Mr. B.

I worked off a photo of Maria for reference. I know the likeness isn't totally there, but after a while I was really just trying to get the values and colors down right, and the features started to get kind of smushed around. I tend to do this to things when I paint over my drawing, both with traditional and digital... gotta work on this.

At any rate, here it is. My bw value study seems to hold up better than the colored one, but I think I still like it.

9 comments:

Phong Nguyen said...

Damn this boy went hard!

I thought you were gonna chump out too haha. At first glance it looks like a very well rendered piece. The lines in the eyes look a bit wonky though. Facial structure is on point.
I think the reds and greens could have been more unified though. I could imagine the whole planes facing the red pillow could be red and the side opposite of that be green. But then again you did say the lighting in the ref photo was bouncing all over the place.

Miles said...

Everything Phong said. The structure is there, but your colors are wonky as fuck.

Layer it up smoothly and and subtly. The color transitions are far too harsh.

JAIR said...

>>>> hey phong! where's your piece! LOL


>>>>hey miles! the colors are supposed to be harsh... its like part of the topic this week! Harsh color transitions are all this guy does.

http://z.about.com/d/manga/1/0/M/m/-/-/Orange_500.jpg



>>>>Hey RAZ!!!! finally... damn... pretty good stuff here. But i was hoping you would loosen up a bit with this one or maybe use painter. This PS with the painter wanna-bee brushes just arent cutting it! TRY using painter... go on... give it a shot!

The piece itself is nice... aside from some facial preportions it works well as an image i could really tell that it was Maria. My tid-bit would be to not worry soo much about getting the piece EXACTLY like the photo reference. Exaggerate a little here and there, im sure Maria will forgive you. This Benjamin piece was about letting loose and having fun; this looks like you were struggling a bit. If i were you i would try using painter or at least "let go" a little bit. (like using charcoal and drawing BIG in figure drawing class with Gordon Lee)

"stroke-more, more-stroke"

:)

Eugene Hoban said...

good stuff here.

so what's the next assignment?

blackconan said...

Dig.

Phong Nguyen said...

I was in Toronto!

I'll do the next one probably.

Margaret Hardy said...

^ what these guys said ^

This really stood out to me, I could see a good likeness. Nice job. I agree with Jair about the "looseness," I have a tough time painting 'painterly' on the computer as well (only used painter once, maybe that's why).

Raz said...

In response to all, thanks. I think some of colors transitions could probably be smoother, even for the big B style. Though, I got a peak at this from the monitor at work, and the colors are fairly more extreme there, so what I see on my comp is a bit different from you all are seeing. I'll try revisitting this in Painter though, and I'll try to "loosen up", lol. Photoshop is still the better tool though, *zing*!

Meg, honestly I have a tough time painting painterly at all, in traditional paint and digital, lol. Digital just allows me to render tighter faster, where as the traditional stuff from painting class never really looks finished. I'll get it under control though, some day.

About the next topic, maybe Jake should pick?

Kelly said...

yo raz! Needs more darks! Lookin good!

Peez