Friday, March 27, 2009

WIP's

Some WIP's I would love crits on before I go in and finish.

Like...which design is whack, which works the best.

TY TY!

TRACEUR (AKA, a Parkour practitioner)




HEAD......shot



19 comments:

Raz said...

These a slick man, for real. Only crit is that the angle on the extensions of Traceur's gas mask seems to be a bit off. The extruding tubes from the mask don't line up with the angle of the head. Nice calvin kleins and Jabbawockeez t-shirt, lol.

DEN said...

thanks!

and nice, I see what you mean brother. I went and update it

I was gonna do a Quest shirt but their design was a bit too...."kiddy"
http://www.shoporisue.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/noquestions_1.jpg

haha

Raz said...

Just read your post and now I'm back, lol.


I think my favorite Traceurs are The Jabbawockeez one and the hooded ninja. The hood guy has a very powerful mood and a strong stance, it read really well wo hve the hood up and head tilted down like that. The Jabba guy is cool because you've pulled some pop-culture into the character, and that also says something about the artist, giving it style and flavor. Not to mention the way you handle his pants is frikkin sweet.


For Headshot, I like the green one the best. Second place for me would be the white or yellow. The yellow one looks more military/tech, and I'm not sure if you wanted her to lean more in that direction, or more like the green version. I like the idea of the collar coming up to cover her mouth, like to mask her identity, but something is weird about the collar coming straight up like that to me right now. Not sure why its bugging me.


But anyhow, like I said, good stuff. These are my picks out of the bunch. They're all pretty strong though, they'd definately be worth showing as process boards even if you do complete a final version.

Raz said...

Haha, quick fix. Nice. Seems like we're playing comment tag here. And yeah, that no *Quest*ions asked things doesn't stand out enough. Good call.

blackconan said...

HOLY SHIT!! You actually posted! The Traceur guy has a lot of style and I dig that but some of the little stuff still bugs me. The big straps on the gloves and shoes still don't look right to me and the gloves look plain. I dig the gloves on the gas mask a little more. Motorcycle gloves have some designs that would fit your look. I think some more detail in the shoes would be cool. Not really diggin the designs on the last two shirts. Remember that people are drawn to look at faces so it draws attention away from the rest of the character. I think you should stick with a graphic like the first. Maybe a more graphic kind of face. Some of the wrinkles in the crotch area are still kinda of off but thats nit picky. The rag and the hood on the last two guys are kind of generic to me. The hooded guy could have one of those hoodies that has the zipper on the face so it zips all the way up and there could be a graphic on the face. The sword is kind of weak. Something smaller more concealable to go with parkour theme. Some techy gadgets like the mp3 arm strap could be a nice detail. I dig the camo pants and little pouches. The little stuff like that start to make the character feel fleshed out and give personality. Overall the first two are working the best. I don't wanna make this to long cuz I know you need your action.

blackconan said...

Now for the bitches. I like that you gave her a face with some personality rather than generic mannequin girl. Again I'm not quite sold on the shoe straps. You ever see those nike flywire shoes or the shoes nike came up with for the chinese olympic team. Thats the kind of look I think of with these characters. Not really feeling the helmet on #2. I've been lookin at bike helmets lately and there is some cool design there you could use. The visor on #3 is a bit generic. You could do something sweet like those weird head strap goggles things that came out a few years back. i saw some sunglasses competition design poster in Id lab. ID is a good place to look for inspiration on stuff like that. I do like the straps for the pouches on #3 & #4. The gun is standard Den gun. It kind reminds me of the crazy modified guns used by the pro target shooters. The design you see in paintball guns would go with your look IMO. I like the hood on #3 and the raised collar 0n #4. The raised eyebrow gives some personality. You like those small kneepads don't you. I can't support that chief. I like the variety of looks. The tights on 4 are cool. Dig the exposed breast. I like the details on #2 & #3 tops. Don't know why but I don't really like the graphic on the tee of the #1. I think a nude, tattooed girl would be sweet. I think thats about it. I don't know if any of that was helpful but....

DEN said...

Damn Francis, great help! Thanks a lot :D

You're right, most of my little gadget stuff and accessories (helmet, shoes, goggles, guns) are REALLY generic.

I'll definitely look up some ID stuff for inspiration. Thanks for pointing me where to go (Nike FlyWire, bike helmets, etc)



(and FYI, I already replied to Raz's recent comments on AIM so don't think I'm a jerk for not replying here, haha)

blackconan said...

I'll try to do some character stuff soon so you guys can crit me.

DEN said...

That sounds good.

You should do your own parkour/urban ninja and city chick w/ gun so I can see a how really cool they can be

:D

blackconan said...

Maybe. That might be a good motivator for me. I'm so lazy. When I finally do post some character stuff the crits gotta be more harsher. Time to stop fuckin around. I'm a goddamn senior!

blackconan said...

Tell RAZ he's next.

blackconan said...

Don tell you bout his portfolio review with creaturebox dudes?

DEN said...

I'm currently updating the characters based on what you said. They are a lot better...

And alright alright, if you do an urban ninja/parkour and a gun city chick, I'll be goddamn harsh on ya! The truth will come out! Feelings will be hurt! It's over!



HEY RAZ! YER NEXT!

Don & CreatureBox???

blackconan said...

OMG! Den the Dream Shatterer Ho! thats good stuff. TY TY.

DEN said...

TY TY
hahaa

HEY RAZ! YER NEXT!

JAIR said...

jus thought i'de to comments list...

nice werks

Raz said...

You guys need to take at least half the energy you are using to post on this comment board and put it into your art! (oh snap!)

And I'm next at what? You want me to do a ninja/parkour character too? Or you're gonna crit me?

blackconan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tyler Parkinson said...

OH Shit! lol tally that Raz

Really nice stuff Den. I'm not going to read all of these comments since it's longer than the bible now. But i'll tell you that i dig the board layouts and the variation of the outfits. I wanna see a combanation of the best aspects of each rolled up into two super well rendered characters with some sweet ass gear! DOOOOO IIITTT :D