Friday, May 23, 2008


Spent a couple hours on this today. Was trying to get a portrait together for the blog, and for a header if we wanted to do one with all our portraits or whatever. I wanted to try to modulate it with flat colors, no blending. Since everyone else got work up so fast, I figured a working crit wouldn't hurt. I want the final of this to still look a little rushed and "strokey".
I'm going to bring the hat down a bit on the right closer to the eyebrow and I know there is something funky going on with the mouth right now, but I don't have direct ref for the left side of the mouth, so its been a bit of a struggle.
I need a break from staring at this thing.
Anyhow... crit it up peeps.

5 comments:

Phong Nguyen said...

Dope SP man. To me, if you're going for the unfinished strokey feel, the round brush don't really work to me. Try a flatter brush so you can see more directions in your strokes.

You chose a difficult lighting angle, but you pulled it off.

Going with flat shapes while trying to show the strokes is a tough one. The left side of your face looks great but you can't see any strokes, while the right side, I can see some strokes but it looks flat.

Kelly said...

YO raz! Thanks for all the critique. I cant say i'm a fan of the graphic modulated look, but this is turning out alright. Cool texture for the facial hair, that fits pretty well imo. Just keep workin on it so we can see the final!

Jake Murray said...

Hey Raz! Good start on the portrait. Like Phong said, I think the thing that's probably most important if you're going for the strokey feel is to show direction. You'll need a brush that's good for it, but also you'll need to make sure your stroke directions make sense on the form. If you're working from a photo, this can be a little tougher because it's already a flat image. During one of his ramblings, Mr. King had said that if you're going to show direction with marks, you should show the less obvious one. Basically, don't just repeat the direction that the contour lines give us, show us how the form wraps around that contour. WHEW! Sorry, that was a bit long-winded, but hopefully it's helpful. Hope your summer is going swimmingly, man!

JAIR said...

i agree with them nice attempt...but you lips look like a half eaten slice of watermelon LOL!

I know your a happy guy but you need to keep in mind rounding off you features the left shadow side of you lips need to be more in shadow. Its okay to let things disappear in the shadow side.

nice attempt RAAAAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZerg!

DEN said...

Razzeeeeeerg spawn more overlords


Me personally, I don't like creating portraits of smiling people that looks obvious it's from a Kodak camera shot

If you want the modulated look to work, you should use less value changes...maybe just a flat tone, then some main shadowing and sharp highlights. Be cool to contrast the modulation with some softening of the hair edges

overall, you captured yourself well :D