Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Quick SP


This one took bout an hour.
































Thanks for the comments guys. Did this one in around 3 hours, just somethin kinda silly. Was trying to show tanned skin, dont know if it worked too well.


































Prolly 1.5-2 hours in PS

No color picker

11 comments:

Jake Murray said...

Hey Kelly. Nice portraits. I don't know if it's intentional or not, but in the blueish one, the warmer, reddish colors in the nose really help to bring it forward, so good choices. Keep it up!

Raz said...

Coach K! These are pretty good, especially considering the time-frame. I like the top one better, it looks a little tighter, has more emotion, and I love the placement of the warm tones in there. Although, I really like the way you handled the hair in the bottom one, more so than the top one. In the bottom one, some of the coloring on the nose looks either too chromatic or too dark, or maybe both. It seems to stick out to me.

Watch your sizing and shaping on the eyes. On the bottom one, the eye on the right side of the page looks like its looking directly forward, but the eye on the left looks like its looking a little to the right side, due to the white spacing and the way you shaped the lid. In the top one, the left side eye is slanting downward more than the right side eye. Watch out for that. Maybe focus a bit more on the shaping of the white of the eye, and in turn the surrounding lids.

Good stuff though man.

JAIR said...

yo kelly you look like a little boy! LOL

the top is def stronger, the complimenting palette works!

when you paint hair you should always think of it as shapes rather than line, lines like that are distracting.

The bottom one's drawing has some errors check the relationship between the nose and eyes more closely next time. As far as color goes the top is nice no need to nit pick, the bottom one is a good attempt, however the neck and some of the other shadow colors turn a bit muddy. U should be thinking more about color rather than value. Try a more saturated color for the shadows and think in compliment rather than jus making a color darker...

nice attempts so far

I would say you should do this everyday for 1000 days LOL

DEN said...

man them some big american eyes in the bottom one. Jealous asian is jealous...

bwahaha

uh

The way the eyes are looking in that one is kinda confusing. The top one, we know he's looking down and it conveys a nice emotion but the bottom one is like....is he trying to look at us?

Yeah, work on your hair strokes in both of em.

I digg.com your speeeed

Phong Nguyen said...

Boo, I agree with everything so far. I like the top one better than the bottom, but.......... why so sad?

Eyebrows go over the brow so part of them are in shadow and part in the light. The plane shift is very subtle but if you can show it, it will add that extra level of dopeness.

The highlight on the nose on the bottom sp looks off. It makes your nose look crooked. The highlights on the eyes are nice. Eyeballs look really "wet" and sparkly.

Overall you captured your boyish looks excellently. When you take the W's class this fall, you'll get even better!

DEN said...

tossed salad kick IN YOUR ASS! Automatic pain for 10 minutes straight

I see your improving on the hair. Less 'line-y' and softer edges

Get some more dominant punchy paint strokes so it wont look overpainted/mudd'ed

Good face and I like the choice of bg color. :P

Raz said...

I do like the hair and the face on this new one. The tan tones don't look right to me. They look more orange. You should probably lean a little more pink/red (for a sunburn maybe) or maybe a bit more olive/warmer-brown for a normal tan. Its good stuff though. I dig the toss salad move... well, not personally... you know...

Kelly said...

Thanks for all the comments guys!
I value all critiques!

DEN said...

I value your PERFECT ASS!

(I critt'ed the piece on AIM) :P

Phong Nguyen said...

The tan thing just doesn't work cus we all know you're Pastie.

On the street fighter one, your head looks misaligned with your neck. And if you want to make you look even more tanned w/o making yourself more tanned, make the BG cooler.


I like the lighting on the Hollywood one.

Raz said...

11th comment here! Wow... well, I commented on everything else except that final SP. I like the colors but I think you shaded your features a bit too angular, especially your chin. It looks very flat and blocky.